Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Champagne and Cake for Everyone!

I’d be celebrating too if I received $60 million. Yesterday Rotman invited the ‘3 year’ MBA students to celebrate Rotman’s $60 million funding from the Ontario government. They still need to raise another $60 million to fund the school’s expansion. The building will be finished in 2010, which is when I am supposed to graduate, so I will not see any benefit from this $120 million effort. The money will be used to construct an additional building, and to hire more faculty to teach all the extra students they plan on getting. They intend to double the size of the students (and faculty), which means they will be churning out 600 MBA students a year (they currently graduate 350 or so). I guess they must think that the MBA designation is sustainable.

Anyway, this $60 million is quite the feat for Rotman, given government cutbacks in education (I am hoping the tuition rioters don’t get wind of this). Rotman has managed to secure a never before funded amount, and they made it a point to divulge that the funds came directly to Rotman, and not through U of T. Of course, the man responsible for this is Roger Martin. “All hail Roger”. Hey, that could be another slogan on a t-shirt. I know, I know the ‘t-shirt saying’ trend has passed. You can’t blame me for trying. I am in b school. It’s bringing out the capitalist in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I wore my Rotman t-shirt today in work, I felt like 65,000 bucks!!