Friday, July 6, 2007

Big Words in Accounting

While in the THROES of the accounting class on Tuesday, I was able to EXPROPRIATE NEBULOUS information about notes receivable, and my grasp of the subject is TENUOUS.

These are all the BIG WORDS that I learned in accounting yesterday. My classmate and I made note of all the big words the prof said. Didn’t think I could string a sentence with all those words, did you? ;) (update: had to take out IMPUTE as I used it incorrectly!)

Yes, this is how bored I was in class. This is one of my issues with the Rotman MBA program. They do not grant any exceptions on courses. As a newly certified accountant I have to sit through two accounting classes. What’s worse, is I can’t even remember some of this stuff. But I know its buried somewhere in my subconscious, so I just can’t seem to pay attention in class.

The prof is not bad and he has some good anecdotes about accounting scandals. One was about this company, who claimed revenues on products that had been loaded onto their delivery trucks, however the trucks never left the premises.

I know some people might find the accounting anecdotes boring. However, us finance people just relish on all these ‘corporate accounting fraud’ scandals, as it’s the most exciting thing in our field! This is riveting stuff to us, because we just can’t believe that these people thought that they could get away with it. Unfortunately, everytime Hollywood tries to make a movie about business it isn't very good, with the exception of Wall Street and Boiler Room.

Right now, I am hooked on the Conrad Black case – I don't understand his motive. Did he really need more money ? I guess its never about the money at that level, It’s what people think they can get away with or what they think they are entitled to. My all time favourite corporate scandal is about how Nick Leeson brought down the 233 year old Barings Bank. The weirdest part is this guy spent time in jail for fraud and now does after dinner speeches. Nick Leeson's website

Fascinating business model if I ever saw one! The Economics final is coming up on Tuesday, so I better get cracking. It’s going to be hard. I should have bought the text book. But now it just seems futile to buy it before the exam. Live and learn.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive.... although I might have to raise my hand and argue with your use of impute. My brain is so fried right now, I can't even come up with an acceptable use to help you out. (You may even be correct) Impressive none the less! Are you going to actually admit how long it took you to come up with that though?!? :-)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Bennett wrote...

How could you fail any paper when using "The Princess Bride" for a quote? NEVER! It's inconceivable!

lol

Please continue to use the word nebulous, as my knowledge of the word is nebulous! ;) eb

Bridget Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget Jones said...

MS, Thanks! You are correct. I have since removed impute as I can’t use it in a sentence. :( However, I did think 'impute' also meant "assert". Would it be right then? This is what happens when you make up sentences with BIG WORDS while drinking. ;)

EB, If only there was an exam on all my useless film knowledge...

Anonymous said...

i can't understand those big words, i had a crappy score in the verbal section of the GMAT
why do you even bother going to accounting classes?

V aka The R.P.

Bridget Jones said...

RP: To go drinking after. Why else?