Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The universe is trying to tell me something...

Had serious reservations posting about this, but since this blog is about my MBA journey, and rejections are part of the journey here goes:

A couple weeks ago, we got an email from the Rotman Asset Management club asking us to apply to participate in the annual Financial Post Stock Market challenge, where each team receives $1 million in play money. The challenge is open to all the b schools in Canada. I thought it would be a fun thing to do, and applied.

Today, I got an email from the club selection committee informing me that I wasn't selected. Apparently 40 people applied, and I think only 5 or 6 people get selected. I am not sure what the selection criterion is as they don’t have a job description, nor do they interview candidates. I didn’t think it was that hard to get into. I personally didn't think I would play any lead part in it being a part-timer, however I thought it would be a great experience to be part of. Perhaps I should have written more about the stocks or strategies I would have employed, instead of just the standard experience and education along with the prerequisite resume.

I have had a series of events that have happened recently, and I think that perhaps finance isn't for me. I am starting to think that all of the events that have happened are all signs that perhaps finance isn’t my career goal. I think I am fairly decent at it, as I actually make a living doing it, but am I passionate about it?

In the movie, Serendipity, John Cusack’s characters says: ‘Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: "Did he have passion?”'. I am not sure about the accuracy of the statement, but I think it’s a great question to ponder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Serendipity is one of my favourite movies... so I figured my passion is procrastination!

Yes the univerise is trying to tell you something, but try not to misinterpret the message.

I still think Finance is for you, persistance is key. Maybe you did'nt get accepted to the competition because I did not apply, ok ok that was vain.

V

Bridget Jones said...

V - thanks for your support and humor.. btw, isn't serendipity a chick flick? lol.

Anonymous said...

hey guys look at chick flicks too!
in fact I'm gonna look at Serendipity again this weekend.. yes yes I own the dvd!

V