Saturday, March 29, 2008

This guy is smart and he’s at Rotman

I stumbled upon Richard Florida’s creative class website by accident. His book ‘Who’s your city?’ is out, and of course I knew he was at Rotman, and he writes an article for the Globe which I usually glance over, but I still didn’t pay too much attention. We got an email about his new book, but we get so many emails a day that sometimes you skim them over. Well after visiting his website, and reading about what he has to say, I can now see what the big hullaboo about getting him on the faculty was all about. He was on the Colbert report!

So for fun I tried his which city should you live in.. I typed in these cities: Toronto, London, SanFran, NYC, Hong Kong. I thought of Dubai, and I forgot to include Bombay. This is what I got:

I should definitely consider staying in Toronto! And then definitely consider London and SF, and not consider NYC and HK.

Anyway, go to this website if you’d like to procrastinate. It’s fun! I need to see if he teaches a class, and buy his book.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Rob, and I'm one of those incomming students googling for MBA blogs of other Rotman students. I came across yours, and proceeded to read through all your past posts.

See, I'm scheduled to start full time come september, but I've been given an opportunity to work and do the mba part time (my present position is about an hour and a half outside toronto, so this new job would allow for that). Anyways, I've been playing the pros and cons in my head; the financial situation, the involvement in the school, the extra year time committment, the insanity of work and school at the same time, etc.

What do you think? How would you approach the decision? Just interested in yearing your thoughts.

Bridget Jones said...

Rob, Congrats! If you would like to know more, you can email me at mbabound@yahoo.ca
Just a thought: I don't know if you've sat in on any classes, but you might want to do that to get a feel for FT vs PT. Not sure if that would help.
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Hi there...

My name is Linda and I'm too a stalker of your MBA blog. My top choice was to go to Rotman, and I have been waitlisted. The reason is my GMAT score is too low. Im scheduled to write the GMAT again in a few weeks. Can you tell me, what normally happens if a person is waitlisted? I come from a Journalism background and work for a fortune 500 company. Do you think it is because I don't come from an engineering background that I have been waitlisted?

Bridget Jones said...

Hi Linda

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope you have heard positive news from the Adcom. I don't really know too much in terms of what they are looking for. I believe it's usually a combination of what you have to offer, and who you are up against. I don't believe your journalism background would hinder your chances. In fact, we have a journalist in our class. For, the record, my GMAT scores weren't the greatest either, however I tried to compensate with work experience and my essays.
I hope that helps, and fingers crossed for you!
Bridget.

Bridget Jones said...

Linda, also in terms of being waitlisted - I think you have to just show them how much you want to go to Rotman. The fact that you are retaking your GMAT is great! Also, I know of someone who got into school while we were in Orientation, so don't give up!
Bridget