Friday, December 14, 2007

Bridget likes Oprah?

I am hardly the political type, but I’ve been following the democratic leadership party race, because I am rooting for Hillary Clinton for President. One of my friends even gave me a ‘Bill for First Lady’ button. In the last week, however, I have been following the Obama campaign. With Oprah’s endorsement, Obama’s campaign trail has become must-see-tv for me. As some of you will know, I am not an Oprah fan, and there have been several lengthy discussions on Oprah (the crowd I hang with is opinionated, and debate is encouraged at the dinner table! :))

Although my loyalties lie with Hillary, and Oprah is definitely not on my favourite celebrity list, I was caught up with a line in her Obama endorsement speech.

“There are those who say it's not his time, that he should wait his turn. Think about where you'd be in your life if you'd waited when people told you to”.

That line alone probably swayed a couple hundred voters. Why should you accept how people see you? Why not question the status quo?

The line resonated with me as it reminded me of a line that I've had to say often in my life. I say it to people who disagree with me about my personality, and my capabilities. I don’t try to change their opinion. And neither should you, reader. It is an exercise in futility. Acknowledge their opinion, and say this ‘People see what they want to see’. Smile and move on. Have the conviction to believe that you are worthy of that promotion, raise or job. If you don’t believe it, why should anyone else?

No comments: