Sunday, December 9, 2007

Inspiring...

It is beautiful here in Toronto. I am distracted by the small puffy snowflakes that are falling. It just seems so magical, and as I sit here staring outside my window, I am reminded of an article I came across this past week.

I want to share with you the real life story of Carissa Phelps. She recently graduated with an MBA and a law degree from UCLA. Carissa got a job in the alternative assets division of LACERA (Los Angeles County Employees Retirement Association) and after two months quit. Why? Because one of her fellow MBA students, and film maker was making a documentary about her life, and as she was recanting her story, she realized she had to make a difference. Carissa didn’t grow up living a charmed existence; she was instead abandoned by her mother at 12, and became a teenage prostitute. She ended up in juvie hall, and with the help of a counsellor, turned her life around. What an accomplished life despite all the setbacks. She is now raising $20 million for a for-profit community development corporation. For more information on this extraordinary person, here’s the link: Carissa Project

1 comment:

nisha said...

I am doing something of the same interest and will be taking note on this .Thank
bba