Monday, December 31, 2007

We are the sum of our choices

I am sitting here on the eve of a brand new year, and the above Albert Camus line seems to echo in my mind. Choices. I look back at 2007, and realize I made a lot of choices, both personally and professionally. Some of the choices have been life changing and some inconsequential. There have been a few bad choices, and some stellar choices. Those choices brought about some incredible highs and lows. I made the choice to apply and go to MBA school despite the cost, and despite the naysayers who told me that an MBA wasn’t worth it. I made the choice to take a film production course in the middle of business school applications and interviews, while working a full time job. This despite everyone thinking I was crazy.

People always think they don’t have choices in life, and think life is something that happens to them. But we do have choices. We have the choice to do the right thing. We have the choice to make a difference in the lives of others. We have the choice to go after our dreams or park them on the unfulfilled shelf in our life. We have a lot more choices than people living in different parts of the world. You have a choice, and I wish you good luck in making your choices in 2008.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to kick off the New Year with a spot of reflection and a positive message for 2008. Thank you! Have a good year, and keep up the blog. I've posted a link to you at www.find-mba.com

Anonymous said...

Great post...I've always enjoyed that particular quote.

Would you be willing to exchange a few emails? I have an application in at Rotman, and I should hear back from the AdCom next week. I'm debating whether to pursue the full-time or part-time program. I'd genuinely appreciate your thoughts on the part-time experience.

If you have a few minutes, it'd be great to receive an email from you.

Cheers,
T
rotmanbound@movescope.com